Skip to main content

{21} of THIRTY

21. Describe your relationship with your parents.


When I think of my "parents" I definitely think of my mom and step-dad, they are who raised me and who I grew up with. The ones who've always been there for me.
I forget sometimes that my step-dad isn't really my "dad" in the biological sense. He's the one who taught me how to ride my bike, how to drive, how to change a tire and the oil in my car. He teased me about boys and [dis]approved of all my boyfriends. Pretty sure he offered to "off" one of them after one of my most difficult heartbreaks, and I'm only slightly sure he wasn't serious. He walked me down the aisle (both times) and he always has a big huge bear hug for me when I see him, best hugs ever. He's my dad. Being a step-parent now myself, I appreciate even more everything that he's done for me and  how he never made me feel like I was anything but his kid..."the good kid" as he calls me. It's been hard here lately because I feel like for the first time in my life (since I was 2 years old), our relationship has felt a little strained. He and I never fight. Ever. In 31 years. Until recently, we got into our first argument. And I don't like it one bit. We never even had a tense word towards even through my teen years. For the most part, I know why he's upset with me but that doesn't make it any easier.

I have always been a momma's girl for as long as I can remember. I am my mother's daughter in so many ways, and although I joke about our fine/straight, dishwater blond hair and forgetfulness, I think its a pretty awesome thing to be like my mother. She bestowed a lot of great qualities to me, even if I didn't inherit those long legs. She's been there for me during my darkest times and patiently listened to every boo-hoo and worry. I love our scrapbooking sessions and our trips to paint pottery or take a painting class. I really miss all our school clothes shopping trips each fall, she's still my favorite shopping partner. There's been too much distance between us the last few years with my move to KC and I'm afraid my relationship troubles with Jason haven't helped. I don't get to see her or spend time with her as much as I would have liked. Especially with the boys. And I'm extremely sad that the boys don't get to see there Grammy very often. My decision to move to Texas won't help that at all but I'm hoping to really make it a point to still get us all together as much as possible after we move.

My dad and I have a difficult relationship but it's mending some. I feel like he abandoned me in so many ways and honestly sometimes it feels more like he's an Uncle than my dad. We just don't have that Father-Daughter bond. That being said. He has really impressed me with his role as Grandpa! He's always coming up to see the boys and has even recently kept the boys over night. It was hard to let him in at first because I didn't feel like it was fair for him to get to be Grandpa when he let go of being my Dad so easily. But I know that's selfish and my boys need their Grandpa too. He's really trying to mend our relationship so I'm trying too.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ramblings of a Panic Attack

I’m having a panic attack. These stupid meds are killing me. I hate them. Stick with it, stick with it, stick with it. I know it’s the meds. I just have to get through this and relax for a couple weeks. I hate this job. It’s not even that bad it’s just HORRIBLY boring. I don’t want to do this every day. I appreciate learning the process and gaining experience but it’s not what I like to do. I don’t even like accounting that much to begin with but there are aspects I like and I know it. The pay is killing me. I need money. I can’t continue to be completely broke before the first week of the month is over. Collections calls ringing all day. I’m applying to jobs like crazy. I’m trying so hard. I’m just going to keep pushing forward. Keep. Pushing. Forward. I hate that I wanted a life with Jason. That I was too blind to realize what he was. That I was ok with him even from the very beginning when I knew better. Why didn’t I want better things for myself? Seeing him makes me want to vomit.

Tersinar Christmas 2015

After graduation, we raced down to Hepler to spend Christmas with my family and mom and dad's. We ordered chicken for dinner (of course - yum yum!) and we had some of the traditional Christmas goodies too, like pie and Grandma Sonja's cinnamon apples, French cookies and cheese ball.  Hudson made the rounds with everyone :) Uncle Dustin is the best to play with After dinner and some visiting, it was time to open presents! The loot! Kids first of course. The anarchy! Hudson among the shreds of wrapping paper Big kids' turn! Opening my Royals blanket <3 I LOVE IT! Thanks Jen :) I got Grandma's name again :) Hudson helped play Santa Mom loved her gift from Heather - a frame with all our family's pictures in it. Jason's gift from Raymond. The kiddos watched a movie or two after we were finished opening gifts.  Later after everyone left, mom, dad and us siblings (minus josh) played Cards Against Humanity... HILARIOUS. Haven't laughed that hard in a very long ti

Just put me next to the Bearded Lady on Coney Island...

Starting weight: 166.4 Last week's weight: 166.4 Current weight: 168.4 Weight +GAIN / -LOSS this week: +2.0 Total weight lost: +2.0 All I'm going to say is this is total Bull$hit. Tune in next week to see the {FREAK SHOW} that is my mystifying, unexplainable, horrifying weight gain. The End.